- Plans to increase ‘alawa’ beyond GHC 800 in the pipeline – NSS.
- Aggrieved NSS personnel went out in all red to register their strongest displeasure over unpaid allowances.
- The personnel bemoaned the lack of allowance amidst the rising cost of living.
- They, however, on top of allowance in arrears, proposed for increment in their allowances.
- The NSS has revealed plans are underway to raise the allowances paid to NSS personnel from the current GHC559.
Mrs. Gifty Oware-Mensah, Deputy Executive Director of the National Service Scheme speaking in an interview on Accra-based Joy News revealed it had already been presented for consideration of the proposal, before the Education Committee.
She added that the proposal will not take effect immediately. She stated that implementing the proposal will be after Parliament has accepted and included the bill in the next budget statement and fiscal policy.
“The NSS has already submitted this thing (the proposal) and it is not because we are seeking for. I have heard them even speak to ask for GHC 800. We have brought something higher than even that before Parliament,” she said igniting hopes.
She added that “But what is more important is that there must be appropriation before we can spend and as we are speaking 2022 budget has already been appropriated so we can only hope and pray that in the next hearing, the Education committee can help us to make a case and get the increment”.
NSS personnel recently have decried the inadequacy of their allowances coupled with the delay in payment.
But Madam Gifty Oware-Mensah added that “all we can come up with will be the figures when it goes for appropriation, but what I can say and confidently, is the fact that it will be more than the GHC800 they are seeking for.”
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED