Operational & Administrative Assistant at FAO. The Food and Agriculture Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. FAO in Ghana has been implementing activities in close cooperation with the Government of Ghana since its establishment in 1957. FAO’s goal is to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active healthy lives. We believe that everyone can play a part in ending hunger.
The tasks envisaged for this consultancy are to be carried out through the Emergency Centre for Transboundary Animal Diseases (ECTAD), which is currently implementing several projects in various countries in Africa. Within the ECTAD framework, the Animal Production and Health Division (AGA) is closely working with the Emergency and Resilience Division (PSE) under the Strategic Program 5 to support various aspects of the animal health programme of FAO, including the Emerging Pandemic Threats (EPT-2) and Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) Programmes.
Details of the Operational & Administrative Assistant at FAO
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Ghana, the overall supervision of ECTAD Regional Manager for West & Central Africa (WCA), the technical guidance of the ECTAD Ghana Country Team Leader, and direct supervision of the Regional Operations Officer and in close collaboration with ECTAD technical officers and FAO Ghana administration personnel, the Operational and Administrative Assistant, will be responsible for providing day to day operational and administrative assistance to support efficient implementation and timely delivery of the ECTAD programme in WCA region and following FAO rules and regulations.
The Operational & Administrative Assistant performs a large variety of routine operational and administrative transactions and office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of the work unit and the ECTAD programme in WCA.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Assist in providing day-to-day operational and administrative support to ECTAD field projects in Ghana and in West & Central Africa contributing to the implementation of program activities;
- Assist in supporting the Budget Holder (BH), the Emergency and Rehabilitation Officer at HQ and the Regional Operations Officer in the monitoring of operations, procurement and logistics related to ECTAD programme implementation in West and Central Africa. This includes the monitoring of funds transferred from HQ to ECTAD country offices.
- Participate in the design and implementation of ECTAD projects and programmes for Ghana and West and Central Africa offices, including budgetary management and monitoring of the approved field expenditures.
- Assist with the organization of workshops, meetings and training courses including booking of hosting facilities/venues, travel, transportation, translation, etc.
- Assist the ECTAD team in the development and updating of programme work plans;
- Maintain the document filing system both in hard and electronic copy, type correspondence and documents, receive and screen correspondence, attach necessary background information and maintain records of the communications;
- Prepare administrative and financial documentation related to project activities and carry out initial review for RM/ROO briefing;
- Ensure that assets procured through ECTAD funding are properly registered, insured, used, maintained and safeguarded and appropriate inventory reports are timely and regularly forwarded to ECTAD Regional Operations officer;
- Make necessary arrangements for incoming and outgoing missions, including elaboration of the mission Agenda, security clearances, entry visas, flights and hotel bookings;
- Prepare Travel Authorizations (TA) & Travel Expense Claims (TEC) for incoming and outgoing missions as required and assist ECTAD staff with security clearance requests and hotel bookings;
- Answer telephone and respond to routine inquiries, arrange appointments, receive office visitors and refer them to the concerned colleague;
- When authorized, make disbursements from petty cash fund, maintain records of these disbursements and balance accounts as required;
- Supervise and update the office inventory, supply, and equipment; Ensure the supply of material/equipment for the ECTAD Office such as stationery, electricity, water, transportation (if any);
- Participate in ECTAD weekly call meeting (report or take minutes)
- Perform any other tasks as maybe required
Operational & Administrative Assistant at FAO – CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in public or business administration, finance, accounting, economics, social sciences, or other fields related to the FAO mandate.
- At least five years of relevant experience in operational, administrative and office support work
- Working knowledge (level C) of English and French.
- National or Resident of Ghana
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of general administration, initiative, good judgment, and ability to independently organize office work and prepare correspondence
- Willingness to work as a team member
- Ability to plan and execute work with minimal supervision and attention to detail
- Good ability to use PC, word processors, and other technology equipment
- Good Numerical skills, negotiation skills, and representation skills
- Good knowledge of the UN work system and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, planning, and problem-solving skills, as well as gender-sensitive and cross-cultural competency
- Knowledge and experience in HR
- Ability to maintain/manage confidential information
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to collaborate and influence across different levels and diverse teams in and out of the Organization
- Ability to conduct data analysis
- Interpersonal and communication skills to maintain good working relationships with people from different nationalities and cultural backgrounds
How To Apply for the Operational & Administrative Assistant at FAO
Closing Date : 10th August. 2022
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED