Per the Minerals Commission regulations on Local content, this role is reserved for Ghanaians
Seeking to appoint an accomplished finance executive with proven success in similar contexts who will act as a business partner to the Regional Senior Vice President Africa (RSVP) Africa in elevating the finance structure, reporting rigor, and employee performance and effectiveness across the Ghanaian team through establishment of world-class standards and practices and thus enabling Newmont’s vision of growing its presence in Africa.
The Regional Chief Financial Officer Africa (RCFO) Africa will lead a team that exhibits high employee morale and technical strengths particularly in the areas of financial planning and controllership. The RCFO Africa must combine polished, direct and simple communication with the ability to provide effective leadership across multiple locations while acting collaboratively as a senior member of the leadership team within a complex matrixed reporting structure.
As one of the region’s senior-most executives, the RCFO Africa must possess a strong business partner orientation and will strive to proactively identify continuous improvement opportunities across the organization. The successful incumbent will elevate the worldwide finance and accounting team’s visibility and reputation as sought-after, proactive problem solvers.
The RCFO Africa will be a key member of the Regional Leadership Team, and as such will be expected to foster collaboration, professional development and exceptional performance across every area of the organization. As the individual responsible for the integrity and accuracy of the financial function, the RCFO Africa will report solid line into the EVP & CFO with a strong dotted line to the RSVP Africa as follows:
- Member of Regional Leadership Team: Develops a strong and credible relationship with the RSVP, the OPLT and the ELT. Further develops a strong working relationship with other corporate and line executives. Member of the team which helps set the financial strategy for the direction of the region, as well as implementation and execution of tactical decisions to ensure achievement of the strategy.
- Member of Finance Leadership Team: The RCFO Africa will uphold the standards and expectations of the function. He/she will also be expected to mentor and develop other team members globally and increase talent capability and overall bench strength across the regional Finance functions.
Accounting and Reporting: The Regional Controller reports directly to the VP & CAO. This role is responsible for leading operational and regional accounting and reporting activities with a focus on governance and operational accounting support for the regional accounting teams. The Regional Controllers report to the RCFO Africa on a matrix basis and the RCFO Africa will support the delivery of timely and accurate financial reporting from the region. The RCFO Africa will often be the interface between regional operations and functions and the Corporate Accounting Team to jointly resolve issues in partnership with the Regional Controller.
- Planning & Budgeting/Analysis: Works closely with the Regional team to develop short-term forecasts, annual and longer-term plans that maximize value to the corporation. Monitors performance versus plans and budgets and provides useful and objective analysis to other executives. The RCFO Africa will support the RSVP in the region’s capital allocation process and will be instrumental in ensuring optimal allocation of capital.
The RCFO Africa will be responsible to ensure that all investments meet the required standards for submission to the RIC and IC, including supporting Value Assurance in the region to uphold the quality of investment decisions in the region. The RCFO Africa will support the Value Assurance team in ensuring all investments in the region have the proper business justification and thinking and are aligned to the regional and corporate strategy.
- Enterprise Risk Management: The RCFO Africa will play a key role in Newmont’s ERM efforts and, in conjunction with the VP and Treasurer, will participate in the development of an integrated ERM plan that incorporates best practices in the identification, assessment and quantification of risks, and the appropriate mitigation efforts.
- Tax/Treasury: Works with the Corporate Tax and Treasury organization to determine optimal split of work. Accountable for performance of region-based responsibilities to ensure that the region receives the most favorable tax treatment available within the law and the appropriate cash management and borrowing to support the region
- Accounting /Internal Audit: Dotted line accountability for these functions. The RCFO Africa will be expected to understand the responsibilities of these individuals, mentor and support them within the region to enable their success. The priorities and budgets will be established by their solid line manager.
Training & Experience:
- The successful candidate will have proven experience as a finance leader in an international organization with a sound technical background in all aspects of Finance and Accounting. Prior in country, or multi-country leadership experience in Africa or similar developing country contexts is strongly preferred; as is prior experience in best-in-class, capital intensive, heavy industrial multinationals of similar size and complexity.
- The RCFO Africa will have his/her own thoughts and be able to provide commercially astute insights, thoughtful conversation and measured strategic guidance, and possess the following qualifications and experience:
- At least 10 years’ progressive financial management experience across all financial disciplines; strong knowledge of accounting, financial analysis and internal controls.
- Experience working in Operations and supporting and interacting with General Managers and operational leaders ideally including Joint Venture partnerships.
- Experience in a large, publicly held company; global company/international experience.
Working knowledge of US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley.
The following role-specific capabilities are required:
- A business partnership/advisory role to VP Operations Finance & Planning, RSVP Africa: understands business drivers, identifies root causes and focuses on increasing business value.
- Team membership on Regional Leadership Team: active participant who brings perspective and insight; ability to bring together regional and corporate resources toward solutions.
- Collaborative, team player with exceptional communication skills to varied audiences; helps all stakeholders better understand Newmont’s business.
- Forward-looking, strategic thinker balanced with understanding the details of the business; with a strong supporting team beneath.
- Detail-focus; must ensure sound fundamentals in place; accuracy of business plan and regional financials.
- Broad experience working with multiple groups in several locations and interacting with all levels of management.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
- An agile, nimble thinker with strong verbal and written communication skills; articulate and convincing.
- An undergraduate degree in Finance or Accounting, or related field is required.
- A post-graduate degree, or accounting designation is ideal.
How To Apply – CFO Vacancy at Newmont Mining Corporation
Closing Date: 25th May, 2022
A Regional Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Vacancy Is available at Newmont Mining Corporation.