One of easiest ways to get a U.S. green card, the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program (DV Lottery) Popularly also known as American Lottery is back.
Here is all you need to know and how to apply for the American Visa Lottery 2024 (DV-2024) Online Application.
About the American Visa Lottery 2024 (DV-2024) Online Application
The Diversity Immigrant Visa program offers about 50,000 green cards for selected individuals. The program was created to promote legal residence of citizens from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
The U.S. government announced the official opening of registration for the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for Fiscal Year 2024 (DV-2024), popularly known as the visa lottery.
The #DV2024 entry period closes at 12 p.m.
EST (4:00 PM GMT), November 8, 2022.
Foreigners who are interested in immigrating legally to the United States are to submit their applications electronically hence, no paper entries will be accepted.
The law allows only one entry per person during each entry period and as well, no late entries will be accepted.
In an attempt to enter the program more than once by an applicant disqualifies that applicant automatically.
American Visa Lottery 2024 (DV-2024)
The 2024 Diversity Visa Program provides permanent resident visas to foreign citizens in countries with low immigration rates to the United States in the previous five years.
Participation in the DV-2024 program is free and the application process is very easy. Winners are determined through a randomized computer drawing.
Applicants must meet simple but strict eligibility requirements to qualify, according to the Department of State, which distributes the immigrant visas among six geographic regions.
The program is widely popular around the globe because it does not require a U.S. sponsor to immigrate.
Who qualifies for the green card lottery (DV-2024)?
To enter the program, individuals must be citizens of qualifying countries, determined by the number of immigrants who have come to the United States from that country in the past five years, and meet basic educational requirements:
Requirement 1: Country of origin
Every foreign national can apply for the DV-2024, except natives from these countries:
Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (including Hong Kong), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, Venezuela and Vietnam.
Requirement 2: Education/Work experience
Individuals must have at least a high school diploma or its equivalent, or two years’ work experience over the past five years in an eligible field that requires at least two years of training.
How to enter the 2024 visa lottery
Applicants must submit entries for the DV-2024 program electronically at dvprogram.state.gov with the entire “E-DV Entry Form” completed.
The following information is required to complete the process:
- Name — last name, first name, middle name — as it appears on your passport
- Date of birth — day, month year
- City of birth
- Country of birth
- Country of eligibility for the DV-2024 program
- Passport number
- Recent photograph (of the applicant, spouse and children) that meets the Department of State’s requirements
- Postal address
- Country of current residence
- Phone number (optional)
- Highest academic level achieved
- Current marital status
- Number of children
How To Apply for the American Visa Lottery 2024
- Visit the DV-2024 program website at dvprogram.state.gov
- At the Entry Form section, select Begin Entry
- Enter the numbers/letters that appear to complete the authentication in order to be sent to the forms page
- Once the entry form opens, fill in the form with your legal information accordingly.
- Submit form after filling
- You will be given a Confirmation number and digital signature when the registration turns out to be successful.
- You are required to either print the page or make a record of the confirmation number before closing the window. You will not be able to retrieve this number after you close this window.
- You must retain your confirmation number in order to check your entry status via Entrant Status Check starting May 6, 2023 to determine whether your entry was selected for further processing in the 2024 Diversity Visa Program.
- You will be REQUIRED to enter your confirmation number in combination with other personal information in order to check on your entry status.
- Selectees will not receive selectee notifications or letters by regular postal mail from the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC).
WARNING (TAKE NOTE)
It is strongly recommended and encouraged that you to complete the entry form yourself, without a ‘visa consultant,’ ‘visa agent,’ or other facilitator who offers to help you.
This is solely because of the conduct of unscrupulous visa facilitators who have been known to assist entrants with their entries, retain the confirmation page printout, and then demand more money in exchange for the confirmation number when the entrants win the lottery. It is therefore highly recommended by authorities that you do it yourself.
DV Lottery Registration Deadline: Closing Date
- Registration for the American DV lottery began on October 5th.
- The American Lottery registration period ends on November 8th, 2022.
When will DV-2024 winners be known?
According to the Department of State’s instructions, DV-2024 participants must go to the Entrant Status Check web page to find out whether their entry has been selected using the confirmation number received when they submitted their forms.
The results will be available from May 6, 2023
After you submit your completed #DV2024 entry, you will see a confirmation screen with a unique confirmation number. KEEP this number for your records. Starting May 6, 2023, you must use this number to check the status of your entry on https://t.co/zhdK1JgFZy. (7/10) pic.twitter.com/ENZvCXCuwO
— Travel – State Dept (@TravelGov) October 7, 2022
Therefore, it is important that applicants retain the unique confirmation number received after completing the entry, as well as a printout of the confirmation screen, authorities recommended.
If selected, an individual will be directed to a confirmation page that provides further instructions, including legal fees related to immigration to the United States.
All winners, including family members, must be issued immigrant visas to be able to obtain a green card under the visa lottery category.
But first, selectees go through a strict consular interview process.